MILANO FINISCE – THE REST OF THE SITES

Near the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie where the Last Supper is housed, we find the Church of San Maurizio, it is considered the Sistine Chapel of Milan because it is covered with frescoes from ceiling to floor. It was built into Milan’s Roman wall and dates from about 1500. Here are some pictures from this small church:

Plaza degli Affari is a bold fascist building built during the 1930’s under Mussolini, it houses the Italian stock exchange, the Borsa. Notice the muscular men and women, symbols of the perfect race of people.

italian-stock-exchange-milan-13965201

In 2009, there was an art contest in Milan to find the most appropriate sculpture to adorn the financial district in Milan, the winner was Maurizio Cattelan, most famous for his sculpture L.O.V.E. The statue below was the contest winner. Italy was undergoing a crippling economy, the Occupy Wall Street Movement was going on in the US and people were fed up with the financial leadership, so they chose this statue. It was intended to be temporary, but the people of Milan like it so it has become permanent. Notice that the hand is turned so that what we see is the 1% raising the middle finger to the rest of us in the 99%.

P1030110

The largest equestrian monument in the world is a modern reconstruction of a model created by Leonardo da Vinci in 1482. The clay model was destroyed, but in 1982, American Renaissance-art collector, Charles Dent decided to build the 15 ton, 24 foot long statue from Leonardo’s design. Dent died before the statue was completed, but in 1997, American sculptor Nina Akamu created the clay model that became the new statue. It’s located at the race track in Milan.

P1030142

P1030144

P1030145

My time in Milan was too short, I didn’t make it to the Sforza Castle, the La Scala Museum, which includes a glimpse into the famous opera house or the magnificent Brera Art Gallery. There was an exhibit with wooden models of many of da Vinci’s inventions that have never been built that would have been fascinating to see. I’m not a shopper, but I did browse through the Galleria for a few minutes, I think anyone who likes to shop would love the Galleria. I say a sad farewell to Milan – next stop Turin, or as the Italians say Torino, I’ll leave the Lombardia and move into the Piedmont region.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s